Positive Behaviour Support Training (PBS) can be tailored to the individual or as a standard package. This training package is a pre requisite before doing the Ethical Response Safety Training. PBS is aimed at staff who work with a child / adult with an intellectual disability. In this workshop the following will be covered: introduction to what is person centered practice, information collecting around getting to know the person – (incl impact of trauma & attachment, human relations) proactive approach – (incl what are behaviours of concern, warnings sign and triggers, behaviour recording, reasons behind the behaviour), functional behaviour assessment process- incl positive replacement behaviours, de escalation strategies, self control & self care, crisis communication, & communication continuum, and stress cycle). Some of our PBS content is drawn from the DHHS Nationally Accredited 3 day version of Positive Behaviour Support Training Package.
- Better understanding of what impacts on behaviours
- Understanding of how to complete a basic FBA Functional Behaviour Assessment report.
- Importance of behaviour tracking & recording
- Who/ how is the STAR chart form to be filled out correctly for incident analysis .
- How to apply the information from the STAR charts into the FBA report for assessment.
- Development of a Positive Intervention Framework Plan as part of the FBA report
- What to do if you don’t get it right the first time in your assessment of the behaviour.
The purpose of this package is for participants to learn about:
- the interrelationship that exists between personal background factors and behaviours of concern
- the interrelationship of bio-psychosocial factors and behaviours of concern
- why people communicate and/or show behaviours of concern
- the value of a functional behaviour assessment
- how to provide positive behaviour support
- the importance of self control strategies.
Training is normally offered as a one day introduction or two day intensive training from 9-4pm,.